Posted in OMG, Quilting, Uncategorized

Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal – April 2017 – Success!

DSCN0993

I had two monthly goals for April and I am happy to say I completed both. The first goal was to join my blocks of the Vintage Farm Girl quilt with sashings and borders. As you will notice I did not make all the blocks in the book but I am happy with the ones I did. I joined the blocks with white sashings and red/white gingham corner stones. I found a cute Waverly fabric in yellow with red cherries for the borders that gives the quilt a little more ‘vintage’ feel.

DSCN0990

Goal number two was to add the borders to my Nine Patch Star quilt which I accomplished also. ūüôā I added a solid gray border that I think frames the blocks.

Now it is your turn. Are you in the One Monthly Goal challenge with Elm Street Quilts? I have several projects in various stages of completion now so I am not sure which I will choose to be my OMG for May.

#Elm Street Quilts

#One Monthly Goal

Here is the link…I forgot to add it:

http://www.elmstreetquilts.com/2017/04/one-monthly-goal-april-finish.html

 

 

Posted in Quilting

Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal, April

I am entering the One Monthly Goal program from Elm Street Quilts. In this program you add your goals each month and follow-up with the progress at the end of the month. This is the first time I have tried this and I am not sure exactly how to do all the link ups, etc. but I am going to give it a try. Here is the link:

http://www.elmstreetquilts.com/2017/04/one-monthly-goal-april-goal-link-up.html

Goal #1: Join the blocks I made from Lori Holt’s Vintage Farm Girl book with sashings.

Goal #2: Add borders to my Nine Patch Star quilt top.

DSCN0968

 

 

 

Posted in Quilting

Farm Girl Blocks, Post #4

DSCN0955DSCN0953

Twelve more completed blocks from the Farm Girl Vintage Book. These blocks are so much fun to do. I wish I had completed two of each blocks in different colors. It is much easier to cut two at the same time than to pull all my scraps back out later for another.

As I look back I can see where I would like to try them in all sorts of color ways. My sheep fabric is very appropriate as it is white background with tan curlies but there is not much contrast with the background fabric. The pumpkin looks very BIG and bright alongside the other blocks. Maybe I should have toned it down a bit.

 

 

Posted in Quilting

Farm Girl Blocks, Posting #3

Here are a few more completed Farm Girl Vintage blocks:

¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬† Kettle’s On!, Kitchen Window, Haystack, and Old Glory

dscn0941

        Old Red Barn, Milking Day, Mama Hen, and Out to Pasture

dscn0940

         Pinwheels, Pie Cherries, Peas and Carrots, and Fresh Pears

dscn0939

This is how I lay out each block. Some of the block pieces are so close in size I find it much easier to label each piece and sew one block at a time.

dscn0938

These blocks are so much fun. Lori Holt’s instructions and diagrams are easy to follow and I have only used my seam ripper once so far. ūüôā

 

 

Posted in Quilting

Farm Girl Vintage, Post 2

Canning Season and Baking Day Blocks

dscn0936

These blocks were fun to do. On the canning jars, the instructions called for 5 1/2″ jars but I had some 5″ charm squares of fruits and vegetables so I added a 1″ strip in the middle of the block. It is hard to see because it is the same color as my carpet. The mixing bowls and spoon block was really easy with Lori’s instructions and diagrams.

Chicken Foot and Egg Basket Blocks

dscn0935

These blocks are coming together so quickly. I just hope all the different fabrics that I am using will blend. I am using mostly scraps, except for the background fabric. I am also thinking about adding sashing and cornerstones on each of the blocks. Not sure about that yet. Will wait and see how tired I am when I get to that point.

Posted in Quilting

Farm Girl Vintage Blocks

dscn0934

Baby Chick, Cool Threads, and Farmhouse Blocks

I started working on the Farm Girl blocks from Lori Holt’s book, Farm Girl Vintage and I just cannot stop. Lori’s instructions and pictures are great. Very easy to follow. I know it looks like I cut the top of my chick’s head off but, according to Lori’s picture, this is the way it supposed to look. After the blocks are sewn together it looks good. Seeing Tierney’s scrappy blocks motivated me as I have a ton of scraps to use. I just hope my choices blend more as I go. As you can tell from the pictures¬†I haven’t trimmed or ‘prettied up’ the blocks. Just made sure the blocks were the correct size.

On another note, I have a  sewing related injury that will keep me away from my sewing for a day or two. I caught my good finger (right hand-index finger) between the heavy duty bar magnets that I use on my long arm bars. I will post a picture of these deadly weapons later.

Happy sewing.